Thursday 7 November 2013

Another Magazine Tutorial also WOYWW 231

I am showing you this as my introduction to the WOYWW'ers where Eliza told me I had to come, look and see what other people are doing out there in the world.  So I am linking with Julia at The Stamping Ground as directed to join in the fun.

Well, I did it again. I tried to follow a tutorial in this particular magazine, there were a lot of steps, oodles of products. Gel medium, distress inks, tissue paper, paint, pens, inks, stamps, list goes on. Now I might add the sample in the magazine was beautiful, but not mine. Mine looked like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I spent 6 hours on this mess, again a lot of laughs with Eliza, I've decided maybe this is not a technique for me. Goodness, even I get scared when I look at this one.

I suppose I can always use the excuse 'this is what NOT to do' and leave it at that. In fact I can't believe I'm putting this on my blog. Eeeeeek!!!! Perhaps the answer is to practice, practice, practice. Nah! I won't do this one again, I've learned my lesson.

Moral of the story: When trying a magazine tutorial, read it over and over and over again. Then hand it to someone with more experience and get them to do it, then get them to show you how to do it step by step. Happy crafting.

De De






11 comments:

  1. Well, if the above card is the result, it is pretty! But I know what you mean, I watched the tutorial, and then try it It always looks easier than it really is! Happy WOYWW!
    Sharon #21

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am always saying to my art students... practice, practice; however, we can be our own worst critic. I love what you created, you need to give yourself WAY more credit. You should first even give yourself a high 5 for even giving it a try. Kim #86

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually read the instructions in the wrong order :D

    Like everyone else said - I love what you made and yes, we are our own worst critics. If this is you 'getting it wrong' then your getting it right must be amazing - keep at it!

    Happy WOYWW :)

    Carmen #81

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello girl friend, so pleased you could join us on our desk hop, you are going to love the ladies on here and some of the art and desks are incredible. Glad you added the photo of the artwork you worked on before throwing it in the bin. LOL

    Hugs Eliza & Yoda
    Happy WOYWW and Happy Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on being honest and saying what you really feel about the technique!! At least you had a go though :-) I don't think it's that bad actually, I like the colours you've used!
    Hugs, LLJ 58 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi De De, you have to start somewhere and you must make mistakes to learn, I make loads! You can maybe go over bits of it again if you aren't happy, I wish I could read all the words on it.

    Cazzy x #83

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's beautiful! I think this is a 10!!!!! I would say, De De, when having a magazine tutorial, get you to do it first! You did an outstanding job! Love the colors, the layers and the texture! Beautiful Job

    Hugs, robin 99

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi De De! So awesome to meet you! Eliza is a doll! I'm so glad you two have your craft time. Your piece isn't bad at all! I think a little light ink around the outer edges and maybe a little white spray ink and it would be lovely enough to frame!!
    You are awesome!
    xxDaniella#8

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny...does it help that I've done the same with tutorials...mostly becuase I like the finished piece and it's not in a style I can achieve...then it turns out there's a reason for it...when I do it, I don't like it. And also, it turns out, I don't wanna spend days doing it..turns out you learn a lot huh!! all that said..your canvas isn't awful at all.
    makes me smile to think that Eliza ordered you over to us...welcome indeed to WOYWW, great to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am popping over from Eliza as I did not see you last week and you have not popped one on for this week.. I am so glad you had a go at it I think it looks terrific. I love the pink and the gold dragonfly on the right it looks pretty and sparkly.. Think maybe just paint some white gesso on the left on some more bubble wrap that would brighten up the left to match the right better.. I think it just got a bit dark on that side that's all..
    Happy WOYWW
    Sandy :) #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete